The RMS Celtic received the SOS message from RMS Titanic and was aware of the messages to RMS Titanic from
other ships. Being 700 miles away there is nothing they could do to help the stricken Titanic and its passengers and crew.
Captain Hambleton in command of RMS Celtic ordered that the wireless operators keep this news from the other
crew members and passengers. The two ships had quite a lot in common and 50 crew members from Celtic had
been transferred from this ship to work on Titanic's maiden voyage.
Celtic arrived in New York on 20th April 1912 and left to return to the UK on 2nd May taking on board rescued passengers from RMS Titanic and crew including J. Bruce Ismay the White Star Line Chairman and Millvina Dean the youngest survivor.
RMS Celtic was built by Harland and Wolff in Belfast with Yard Number 335 and launched on 4th April 1901. At that time it was the biggest ship in the world and the first of 4 ships over 20,000 tons built by Harland and Wolff known as "The Big Four".
Cedric followed in 1902 with a Yard Number 337 then Baltic in 1903 with Yard Number 352. The last of the four was Adriatic in 1906 with a Yard Number 358 and was the first to have an indoor swimming pool and Turkish Bath. The Captain of Adriatic was Capt. Edward Smith who in due course was the Captain of the RMS Titanic and was due to retire after the Titanic's maiden voyage.
On 10th December 1928 RMS Celtic was stranded on the Cow and Calf Rocks at Roches Point at the entrance to Queenstown in Co, Cork in Ireland (now known as Cobh). The ship was a total loss and took 5 years to be completely dismantled.
Queenstown was of course the last port of call for the RMS Titanic.